Wasp, bee, hornet sting
It is not the sting itself that is dangerous, but the poison that is injected under the skin through the sting. If you or your child are prone to allergic reactions, be sure to take an antihistamine for the summer vacation. If after taking the tablet the reaction continues to intensify, seek medical help immediately. In case of a severe allergic reaction, an anti-allergic injection is necessary, which can be life-saving.
First aid for a bee, hornet or wasp bite:
- If the stinger remains in the skin, carefully remove it with tweezers. In no case do not squeeze it, because the poison will spread.
- Take a cotton ball soaked in hydrogen peroxide and apply it to the bite site. If you do not have oxygenated water, use water with salt - one spoonful per glass of water.
- Apply ice cubes to the bitten area.
- Drink plenty of fluids, preferably water
- Take anti-allergy medication
Important: If reactions such as swelling, suffocation, rash, fainting, slurred speech or blurred vision occur after being bitten, go to the nearest emergency room or call a doctor immediately.
Spider and scorpion bite
In Bulgaria nyama spiders and scorpions whose bite is deadly. Local representatives of these 2 genera have venom that can only cause swelling and pain at the site of the bite.
Ice or towels with cold water are placed on the place, and against the pain - Analgin and Paracetamol 2 tablets each.
It is recommended that the discovered tick be removed by a medical person, but on the condition that the person is outside a populated place, in the mountains or otherwise. it is more important to remove it as quickly as possible and therefore the following recommendations should be followed: the tick should be removed quickly but very carefully. This is best done with tweezers. A slightly infected tick can be easily pulled out by hand, but necessarily with a glove. Removal should be done by gradual pulling without twisting and twisting. It is a very common practice to rotate counterclockwise, but this is wrong. Thus, the tick may break off and part of its oral apparatus may remain in the skin, necessitating additional surgical removal.
Smearing the tick in question with grease, alcohol, turpentine or burning it with a match is also incorrect (especially risky). This results in the return of intestinal contents into the tick's oral cavity, which increases the chances of transmission of a possible infection.
The removed tick should not be crushed or thrown on the ground, but destroyed by placing it in a container with alcohol or naphtha. After removing the tick, we recommend that the person monitor the bite site. In case of symptoms of redness, appearance of erythema migrans (increase in the red spot), immediately seek the personal physician and report the date of the bite.
If you or your child has been bitten by a dog, whether domestic or stray, you better get a medical exam with a tetanus and rabies vaccination assessment. If you don't have a doctor's office nearby, wash the wound with soap and water. It is necessary to treat with an antiseptic solution (rivanol, iodasept, hydrogen peroxide, potassium permanganate, antibiotic cream).
If the dog is domestic, observe for signs of rabies (shows of unusual aggressiveness, profuse salivation) until the 10th day after the bite.
There are only 4 types of poisonous snakes in Bulgaria - the viper, the viper, the viper and the sharp-nosed viper. Although rare, bites from them are possible. Here's what you should keep in mind:
Usually, redness and rapidly spreading swelling appear at the site of the bite for 15-45 minutes, after which the general symptoms appear - high fever, abdominal pain, cold sweat, general weakness, red spots on the body and loss of consciousness. Bites on the head and face are the fastest and most dramatic, with the danger of rapid suffocation.
In general, it can be understood that it is a question of a poisonous snake bite by the following signs:
- A zigzag band on the snake's back.
- A characteristic horn on her forehead.
- The presence of 2 puncture wounds on the skin at a distance of 0.5 cm.
If there is a series of bites, then the snake is not poisonous.
Practical measures until getting medical help include:
1. A light tight bandage above the level of the bite for 1-2 hours - when on a leg or arm as the goal is to slow the outflow of venous blood to the general circulation (slows the absorption of the poison into the body), while not interrupting the flow of arterial blood to the limb.
2. Applying ice or cold water towels to the site (to slow the spread of the poison due to constriction of blood vessels).
3. Provision of medical assistance as quickly as possible.